To take full advantage of the Sapphire Reserve card:
- Upon approval of the card, request expedited shipping. The $4k spend requirement within 3 months starts counting the day you are approved.
- Spend the $4k within two and half months. Don’t cut this close and risk losing the bonus points. The $450 annual fee does not count but anything else you “charge” does. Purchase gift cards for future needs if needed, so you don’t spend on unnecessarily.
- Activate Priority Pass (from the UR portal go to Use Points > Card Benefits, then Activate Airport Lounge Access
- Sign up for TSA Pre Check or Global Entry (you’ll get reimbursed the full fee, up to $100). (Access to shorter lines, keep shoes/jackets on, etc.)
- Combine all your other Chase Ultimate Rewards to this card to take advantage of the 1.5x Chase travel portal redemption value and/or travel partner transfers.
- Consider a separate account for your spouse instead of an authorized user. Taking advantage of this only costs $75 = $450 annual fee – $300 travel credit – $75 authorized user.